Saturday, August 8, 2026
  • Submit
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Kenyan News
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Nairobi Metro
    • Coast
    • Mountain
    • Lake-Region
    • Rift- Valley
    • Northern
  • Business
    • Entrepreneurship
    • Finance
    • Markets
    • Petroleum
    • Agriculture
    • The Biashara Club
    • Wezesha Fund
  • Tech
  • Tourism
    • Travel
  • Counties
    • Nairobi Metro
    • Coast
    • Mountain
    • Lake Region
    • Rift Valley
    • Northern
  • Lifestyle
    • Personal Finance
    • Youth
    • Real Estate
    • Arts and Culture
    • Environment & Climate
    • Relationships
    • Family
    • News
    • Opinion
    • Health
    • Sports
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
Kenyan News
Home Business Agriculture

Fires Devastate Kisumu Cane Farms, Prompting Urgent Investigation

254 by 254
September 12, 2024
in Agriculture, Business
410 4
0
Fires Devastate Kisumu Cane Farms, Prompting Urgent Investigation
195
SHARES
2.4k
VIEWS
Share on WhatsappShare on TelegramShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Email

Related posts

The exterior of a small Kenyan duka (shop) with Safaricom and other advertising signage

Safaricom Cuts M-Pesa Transaction Fees for Small Businesses

August 5, 2026
A wide-body passenger jet on a runway with an overcast sky

Kenya Airways Plans to Triple Its Fleet by 2035

August 5, 2026

The Kisumu County government has called on the police to investigate a series of fires that have devastated cane farms in parts of Nyando, causing damage estimated in the millions of shillings over the past three months.

Ken Onyango, the Agriculture Executive, characterized these fires as acts of economic sabotage that have severely impacted farmers, while the perpetrators remain unidentified.

“Farmers are incurring substantial losses, and the ongoing fires pose a serious threat to the future of sugar production in the area,” Onyango remarked.

These fires have disrupted the development schedules of cane crops and could potentially lead to a shortage of raw material, which might force the closure of three major factories in the region.

After inspecting the burned sugar cane fields around Miwani, Onyango noted that although the destruction has been widespread in Nyando, Kibos Sugar, a privately owned company, has been the hardest hit.

Since May, Kibos Sugar has lost 1,035 acres of sugar cane, amounting to 33,268 tonnes.

Onyango expressed suspicion of arson and sabotage, highlighting the peculiar fact that only Kisumu County has been affected, despite the presence of sugar factories in neighboring Western, Rift Valley, and South Nyanza regions, which have reported no similar incidents.

“We urge law enforcement and state investigative agencies to conduct immediate investigations and apprehend those responsible for these fires,” he said.

Onyango also noted that Governor Anyang’ Nyong’o is deeply concerned about the fires, which are disrupting the livelihoods of numerous farmers.

“Kibos Sugar and Allied Industries is a major employer in Kisumu County, and these fires are severely disrupting its operations,” Onyango added.

Kibos Sugar’s manager, Richard Sewe, and Corporate Affairs Manager, Joyce Opondo, reported that the destruction of the cane has led to significant losses for both the miller and the farmers.

Opondo explained, “Harvesting and processing burned cane incurs high operational costs, affects sugar quality, and creates environmental challenges.”

They urged farmers and government officials to assist in saving the industry by reporting any suspects to the police.

Silvanus Oging, one of the latest victims, experienced a fire on his farm Saturday at around 4:35 p.m. Despite his quick response, the blaze had already consumed his entire 64-hectare farm, including 48 hectares of his own.

“The damage is extensive, and I am facing severe losses,” Oging said. He was expecting to earn Sh8.6 million from his harvest but now faces uncertainty about recovering anything from his ruined crop.

“I’m unsure when the factory will be able to harvest the remaining cane since they are already overwhelmed with cases like mine. This is heartbreaking as I was counting on a significant harvest, which now seems out of reach,” he added.

Oging had invested Sh3.6 million in developing his sugarcane plantation. He has reported the incident to the local chief and the factory, urging for urgent harvesting of any remaining cane to salvage some of his investment.

Tags: Agriculture Executivecane cropsGovernor Anyang’ Nyong’oKibos SugarKisumu County governmentNyando
Plugin Install : Subscribe Push Notification need OneSignal plugin to be installed.

Related Posts

The exterior of a small Kenyan duka (shop) with Safaricom and other advertising signage
Business

Safaricom Cuts M-Pesa Transaction Fees for Small Businesses

August 5, 2026
A wide-body passenger jet on a runway with an overcast sky
Business

Kenya Airways Plans to Triple Its Fleet by 2035

August 5, 2026
254.ke garissa youth turns invasive mathenge into green energy
Agriculture

Garissa Youth Turns Invasive Mathenge Into Green Energy

May 30, 2025
254.ke kabonyo fisheries centre at 30%, gov't urges speed up
Agriculture

Kabonyo Fisheries Centre at 30%, Gov’t Urges Speed-Up

May 30, 2025
Bill seeks to scrap treasury approval for county grants
Finance

Bill Seeks to Scrap Treasury Approval for County Grants

May 24, 2025
The national biosafety authority (nba) will hold its 13th annual biosafety conference in naivasha in two weeks, focusing on public education and trust in genetically modified organisms (gmos).
Agriculture

NBA to Host GMO Safety Conference in Naivasha

May 24, 2025

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Magical Kenya Magical Kenya Magical Kenya
Magical Kenya Magical Kenya Magical Kenya

POPULAR NEWS

  • 1

    Coast Schools Shine in KCSE Results

    250 shares
    Share 100 Tweet 63
  • Nairobi Chapel Pastor Leads Biker Tour Across Africa to Raise Sh50 Million

    222 shares
    Share 89 Tweet 56
  • KDF to Introduce Subsidised Pay-As-You-Eat Lunch System

    218 shares
    Share 87 Tweet 55
  • Mother and Three Children Dead in Suspected Murder-Suicide

    212 shares
    Share 85 Tweet 53
  • KCSE 2024 Results Out Today

    210 shares
    Share 84 Tweet 53
Kenyan News

Kenyan News is more than just a news platform, it’s a vibrant community dedicated to showcasing the diverse voices and stories that shape our nation.

Founded with a mission to inform, inspire, and empower, Kenyan News strives to be the go-to destination for insightful, engaging, and impactful content.

Submit Your Story

Follow us on social media:

Recent News

  • Safaricom Cuts M-Pesa Transaction Fees for Small Businesses
  • Kenya Wins 12 Medals at the Glasgow Commonwealth Games
  • Kenya Airways Plans to Triple Its Fleet by 2035
  • Njugush Sells Out TTNT6 at Sarit Expo in First Solo Show Since Wakavinye Split
  • Only 4,000 of Kenya’s 14,000 NGOs Have Completed PBO Transition
  • Global NGO Summit’s Blue Carbon Programme Set for Mombasa and Kilifi in August
  • Amb. Frederic Gateretse-Ngoga to Speak at NGO Stakeholders Summit 2026
  • Amb. Frederic Gateretse-Ngoga to Speak at NGO Stakeholders Summit 2026

Category

  • Africa
  • Agriculture
  • Arts and Culture
  • Asia
  • Athletics
  • Australia
  • Boxing
  • Business
  • Coast
  • Coast
  • Counties
  • Crime & Justice
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Entrepreneurship
  • Environment & Climate
  • Europe
  • Family
  • Fashion
  • Finance
  • Food
  • Football
  • Health
  • Lake Region
  • Lake-Region
  • Lifestyle
  • Markets
  • Mashinani
  • Mountain
  • Mountain
  • Music
  • Nairobi Metro
  • Nairobi Metro
  • National
  • North America
  • Northern
  • Northern
  • Opinion
  • Personal Finance
  • Petroleum
  • Politics
  • Real Estate
  • Relationships
  • Rift Valley
  • Rift- Valley
  • Rugby
  • South America
  • Sports
  • Strategy
  • Technology
  • The Biashara Club
  • The Global NGO Stakeholders Summit
  • Tourism
  • Travel
  • Uncategorized
  • Western
  • Wezesha Fund
  • World
  • Youth

Recent News

The exterior of a small Kenyan duka (shop) with Safaricom and other advertising signage

Safaricom Cuts M-Pesa Transaction Fees for Small Businesses

August 5, 2026
Athletes clearing hurdles during a track race

Kenya Wins 12 Medals at the Glasgow Commonwealth Games

August 5, 2026
A wide-body passenger jet on a runway with an overcast sky

Kenya Airways Plans to Triple Its Fleet by 2035

August 5, 2026
A spotlit microphone on an empty stand on an otherwise dark stage

Njugush Sells Out TTNT6 at Sarit Expo in First Solo Show Since Wakavinye Split

August 5, 2026
  • Submit
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact

© 2024 Kenyan News : Inform, Inspire, and Empower by 254.ke.

Welcome Back!

Sign In with Google
OR

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Sign Up with Google
OR

Fill the forms below to register

All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Nairobi Metro
    • Coast
    • Mountain
    • Lake-Region
    • Rift- Valley
    • Northern
  • Business
    • Entrepreneurship
    • Finance
    • Markets
    • Petroleum
    • Agriculture
    • The Biashara Club
    • Wezesha Fund
  • Tech
  • Tourism
    • Travel
  • Counties
    • Nairobi Metro
    • Coast
    • Mountain
    • Lake Region
    • Rift Valley
    • Northern
  • Lifestyle
    • Personal Finance
    • Youth
    • Real Estate
    • Arts and Culture
    • Environment & Climate
    • Relationships
    • Family
    • News
    • Opinion
    • Health
    • Sports

© 2024 Kenyan News : Inform, Inspire, and Empower by 254.ke.

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?
  • Contact Us

    Contact Form

    I agree to the terms and conditions.

    *

  • Google Play